This loaf spanned from the Maritimers bread on Jane Mason’s All you knead is bread book.
I wanted to try the same principle minus the molasses and raisins, as I love oats but wanted a lighter, less sweet bread. This had a very soft crumb.
For the porridge
25g Oats (6%)
125g milk (29%)
10g butter (2%)
10g honey (2%)
Cook oats and milk until of porridge consistency. Add butter and honey and let cool until at room temperature.
For the Bread
All of the porridge
150g Wholemeal bread flour (35%)
250g White bread flour (59%)
5g active yeast (1%)
200g water (47%)
7g salt (1.6%)
- Mix flours in a bowl, add active yeast in the centre and cover with 100g water. Leave for 15min until yeast has activated;
- Add the porridge and the other 100g of water to the mix;
- Knead for 10 to 15 min by hand;
- Proof for about 1h until double in size;
- Shape (I did a round loaf but here you can use whatever shape you prefer) and proof for about 1h until ready to go in the oven;
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 250C for 10 min; drop temp to 220C and bake for another 25 min or until temperature at the centre of the bread is 98C.